Monday, March 12, 2012

Teri Hatcher on Mike's Death: "I Think It Was A Bad Idea!"

As the world tries to cope with Mike's murder on Desperate Housewives, his on-screen wife, Teri Hatcher, is speaking up about her opinion on the storyline.


"I've got to be honest, I think it was a bad idea," she told Entertainment Weekly. "It's sad to me that Susan, who started the series as a single, unloved mother, ends now in the same way. I always thought the audience wanted to see Mike and Susan finally happy and safe, but that place did not sustain itself for [Desperate Housewives creator] Marc [Cherry] or ABC, I guess."

We agree, Teri! Although sometimes Susan and Mike were the "boring" couple on the show or had "pointless" story lines, we did secretly root for their happiness, and we're glad someone on the show is talking about how stupid and uncalled for the death was.

Because James Denton, who plays Mike, certainly isn't. He said of his death: "It's actually brilliant. As an actor, you just hope people care."

We do care, but we're sorry, James - it's far from brilliant. We hate to say it, but we're Team Teri this round. The actress was so against Mike's death that she even spoke to the show's producers about making the character's death not at all what it seemed. “When I heard about the plan of his death, I pitched a story idea that in the finale he would be in an airport in Bolivia and MJ and I would run into his arms and discover the whole thing had been some undercover witness protection program," Hatcher said.

While we don't think that storyline would work well, either, we are certainly not in favor of  "single, unloved mother" Susan in the finale, either.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It honestly came out of nowhere, and not in a "death comes out of nowhere :(" way, but in a "this was poorly planned and only done for ratings/to "prove" nicolette sheridan wasnt killed off in anger" way.

      Delete
  2. I'll be honest I don't watch DH religiously, but just from seeing the first season and from watching years of previews I am disappointed in that. Geeze! I like when tv shows end with a happy couple...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of the women are prison-bound, so the writers are pulling what's important to each one away from them so when they go to jail it's not SO bad...

      Delete