Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lessons To Learn From Every Award Show

I’m sure you've heard enough about the Oscars by now ... or any award show for the matter.  Not to mention that every fashion highlight has been blasted on every website and magazine from here to the moon.

But, there are a few things you can still take away from each show.  Once the best and worst dressed articles are out of date, the fashion lessons we the viewers still linger.  Whether it is ‘Lil Kim’s bad choice in pasties or Britney’s shaved head, we never walk away empty handed.

I'm going to stick to just the Oscars, here are 3 fashion lessons I have gathered from last Sunday's soiree.  Grab a pen; you’ll want to jot these down.

1.  Always bring backup.
No, I don’t mean having your speed dial ready in case a brawl breaks out.  What I mean is, back up your outfit! 

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I have been using this trick way before Ryan Seacrest’s mom was telling him how to work a red carpet.

Seacrest told People.com, "My mom told me when I was a mini red carpet reporter, 'You always want to have two jackets.  You never know what's going to happen."  Smart woman.

Photo courtesy of People.com.

Here are a few things you may want to bring along when heading out (or any other day really):
a.  Wearing tights?  Bring another pair, snags and holes WILL happen.  You could also throw a bottle of clear nail polish in your bag; this will stop the holes from spreading. 
b.  Bring another pair of shoes, especially if you’re wearing heels.  I’m a BIG time supporter of stilettos; I’m also a big time supporter of comfort.  I always stash a pair of flats for a long walk home.
c.  Another pair of earrings.  Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve definitely lost an earring or two in my day.
d.  Tide-to-go.  This little pen has saved more outfits than I can count.
 This list could go on and on and on…

2.  Tape it up.
There’s not a year that goes by a controversial nip slip doesn’t happen.  Are you wearing a daring neckline?  Prevent your own J.Lo incident...

Photo courtesy of Vulture.com – Is it or isn’t it?

Here’s what you need 
Fashion tape!  It’s not that hard to find, here it is at CVS.  Keep everything in; you don’t want to seem too promiscuous.  Angelina could have used this tip as well, it would have prevented this …



Just a quick side note:  Did she steal this look from my favorite ex of Brads?  Miss Jennifer Aniston??  Check out this article at OMG.Yahoo.  I'm pretty sure she did ....

3.  Avoid fashion headlights.
We’ve all been there, women & men alike.  Tight shirts or dresses tend to show a little more than we want.  Whether it be boning in your dress, an awkward seem or something that really shouldn't be seen you should take all precautions to prevent the embarrassment.  Somethings should be left to the imagination.

While I loved Cameron Diaz’s dress, I’m not sure if this is an attack of something a bit inappropriate or just the boning in her dress.  Either way, one of these reasons are 100% preventable.



Here’s what you need:  
Bra stickers.  You can choose from ones that cover the whole area or just the right spot.  You can really get both of these anywhere (serious, I’ve seen them at Vicky’s and Wal*Mart).  Purchase a few sets, with spring & summer coming you won't regret it.

I hope I've enlightened you just a little when it comes to benefiting from others' fashion "oops."  Keep a look out, there will be another one right around the corner - award show or not.

That's all for me,
Jes

1 comment:

  1. I used to use band aids for headlights and use butt glue (what they use in pageants) for non slip, hide-the-nip emergencies. Good article, Jes! - Miss Janet

    ReplyDelete