Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Have No Fear, The Doctor's Still Here!

There's been a TON of speculation about what's going to happen to the beloved 11th Doctor from the BBC's hit "Doctor Who". Played by Matt Smith, the 11th Doctor had some amazingly big shoes to fill when he came into the show back in 2010. And in the last couple of months, rumors have been swirling regarding Smith's departure. With the 50th anniversary coming up in another year (2013), the mill has been churning, some guessing the big anniversary episode will be Smith's last, ending with an introduction to Doctor 12.

Gillan (Left) and Smith (Right)
with the Doctor's Famous TARDIS
But as far as we know, that's not true. Yes there are big things in store for us "Who-vians" come 2013 (I mean, 50 years for a show to be running? That shit cray.) And yes, the rumors that the 11th Doctor's faithful companion, Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan), is leaving this season are true (and yes, I will probably get emotional when she leaves). But does that mean Matt Smith is leaving too?

He says no.

"It's a thrill playing the part. I don't want to give it up anytime soon" he told Rachel Tarley of the Metro UK. "We have a whole season to make and a Christmas Special as well, so I won't be leaving anytime soon. We'll get this season out of the way and see where I'm at. I take it season by season and I take the job day by day because there's no other way you can do it".

C-Batch and Smith
Smith also dispelled the rumors that "Sherlock" star, Benedict Cumberbatch would be joining the cast of "Who" as the Doctor's nemesis, The Master, saying "I know Ben and I've not heard anything about it...I think he's a bit busy being a Star Trek villian".

While it's comforting to know Smith has no immediate plans to leave the show, the anxiety I get when just rumors of his leaving start flying assures me that when the moment does come--I'll be destroyed. Maybe almost as much as I was when the 10th Doctor, David Tennant, left.

--AvK

No comments:

Post a Comment