Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gone

When you go to see a thriller, chances are that you're walking in to one of two types of movies:
1. Someone (usually a man) is on a race against time to save someone he loves or because he is seeking vengeance.
2. Someone (usually a woman) is being tormented and needs to put an end to it before it's too late.

In Gone, you have both. Amanda Seyfried plays Jill, a young woman who was previously abducted but escaped, finding her way out of her makeshift dungeon in the woods and back to civilization. After an "extensive" search of the forest, police find no evidence that this prison ever existed and push Jill aside as making it all up. Some time passes and when Jill's sister goes missing, she knows it's her captor returning. She continues on a Bourne-esque race against the clock to save her sister and find the man who abducted her.

This movie is getting a lot of mixed reviews by audiences, and I literally can not figure out why. I found myself covering my eyes with my infinity scarf the last thirty minutes of the movie because I was so intensely pulled into the story. Even as Jill was passionately searching for her sister, the police still thought she was out of her mind, forcing her to do it all by herself. Including meeting up with her abductor. In the woods. At night. I can't.


I know the following has some big words, and by some standards may even be considered fighting words, but... here it comes... I think Amanda Seyfried is our generation's Meryl Streep. I said it, and I refuse to take it back. Her movies may not be getting Oscar buzz, but she throws herself into every role she plays, transforming herself completely from one film to the next. Besides Meryl, I've never seen an actress play so many drastically different roles: Karen Smith (Mean Girls), Needy Lesnicki (Jennifer's Body), and now Cossette (Les Miserables). You can say what you want about the star, but you can't say she's typecast - with a breakout role like the dim-witted Karen, it would have been very easy for that to occur. But she didn't let it happen. I genuinely believe if she picked deeper movie to star in, she would have no problem raking in awards.

Besides Seyfried, the rest of the cast wasn't onscreen long enough to judge them. From previous, I was excited for Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) to appear on screen, but I was less than thrilled to find out she has about a page of dialogue.

The biggest problem I have with the movie seems to be everyone's number one grievance with it, as well. Jill spends the whole movie searching for the serial killer, and... spoiler alert... when she finds him, she handles the situation in less than ten minutes. You're telling me a man that has killed dozens of women and gotten away with it goes down so quickly? It's a little too Scooby Doo for my liking.

And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for that meddling future Oscar winner...

1 comment: