Sunday, May 1, 2011

White House Correspondent's Dinner

Today's post is from our FIRST GUEST BLOGGER - entertainment enthusiast and our close friend, Entertainment Mac. She's currently working on her own entertainment blog, which will be linked through us as soon as it's up and running! Be on the look out for more posts from one of our favorite people to talk all things entertainment with!!!

------------------------------------------------------

The White House Correspondent's Dinner takes place on the last weekend in April. It's hosted by the White House Correspondent's Association. It's a chance for celebrities, socialites, politicians and journalists to mingle, dress up and meet the President. This year's dinner was no exception.


Hosted by Seth Meyers, the 2011 WHCD took place in the Hilton Hotel in Dupont Circle, Washington DC. It was attended by everyone from Sean Penn to Zach Galifianakis and from Cee Lo to Paula Abdul.

I was lucky enough to attend the reception that took place before the dinner. I had a two hour window to meet with some of my favorite celebs, who I had heard would be in attendance.

My two friends and I arrived on the red carpet in front of the Hilton (by feet since we took the metro and not a limo, so the paparazzi knew we were not anybody who needed their picture taken), one photographer mistakenly took our picture and that was just the beginning of a great night.

The receptions are all held in separate rooms by different correspondents and publications. Our tickets were for the Roll Call reception. It wasn't very crowded at first so we made our way to the open bar..after grabbing a drink we decided to hang out in the hall in front of all the receptions. And that is when we spotted Eric Stonestreet and Jesse Tyler Ferguson from Modern Family. Eric was with a beautiful woman, who he kept introducing as his girlfriend and Jesse was with his very handsome young boyfriend, Justin Mikita. Then I said hi to Maria Bello (History of Violence, Coyote Ugly) as she breezed by looking absolutely stunning, quickly followed by Elizabeth Banks (Scrubs, The Next Three Days).

We decided to make our way into what seemed to be the most popular party, the National Journal reception. As we pushed our way to the line, we passed Don Cheadle (Crash, Iron Man 2) and Morgan Fairchild (Friends, The Bold and the Beautiful). Once inside (thanks to a very nice woman who let us in without a ticket) we got some more drinks (liquid courage so I could finally ask the celebs I was seeing for some pictures) and spotted the cast from The Vampire Diaries. Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev were two of the most beautiful people I have ever seen in person. Ian was passing me and I stopped him and he was one of the sweetest people I've ever met. He asked me for my name and I managed to blubber it out in the midst of my 'star-struckness.'


 My head was spinning at that point when I spotted Daniel Day Kim (Lost, Hawaii Five-O). My friend Steve asked if we could take a picture with him and he was nice enough to let us. You can really tell who just wants to say hi and who will chat and let you take a picture. Even though I only asked three of the stars, I was happy all three said yes.


At this point it was time for the dinner to start and everyone started making their way downstairs to the dinner. As as was being pushed up against the person in front of me I realized it was Shaun White. I grabbed his arm (many glasses of wine at this point!) and immediately introduced myself. My friends and I started a conversation with him about how much we love free drinks. He was very down to earth and had an amazing laugh. As we continued to make our way down the line we passed Chelsea Handler (Chelsea Lately), Cee Lo, Michael Stipe, and George Stephanopoulos.


Once down the escalator I spotted the two I've been waiting for all night. Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer from True Blood. I completely blanked, forgot where I was, screamed 'Sookie' and ran after them. I ran onto the red carpet and heard, 'No no no' coming from security. I had to leave the red carpet and watch Anna and Stephen walk away. I didn't get to meet them, but I was so close!

By this point everyone was heading into the dinner and it was time to leave. I got to meet a lot of awesome people, both famous and not famous. Stay tuned... hopefully next year I'll be reporting from the actual dinner...

1 comment: