Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"We R Who We R"

Ke$ha's "We R Who We R" video premiered today. Finally (I feel like I've been waiting forever...), and people are already tearing it apart.... so much so, that you'd think it wasn't a music video, but the latest episode of GLEE.

 
Some people are saying it looks cheaply made. A few are saying she is hopping on the "It's okay to be different, we're people, too! It Gets Better!" bandwagon with this song. Some are saying she is clearly mocking Gaga's "Telephone" video. Others are calling it the poor man's "Firework" video. The worst are those taking the low road and saying they need a shower after seeing her.

 
I, for one, love it. Ke$ha, the song, the message, the video - all of it.

I've loved her dirty, just rolled out of someone else's bed look since the first time I saw her. She finds a way to combine street trash and fabulous, and makes it work. She doesn't need a shower. In fact, it's those rare instances when she looks clean that I don't like the way she looks.

Mocking Gaga? Paying homage? I'd like to believe it's the latter, but either way - I loved the "Telephone" video, so references to it anywhere are okay in my book. And if it turns out she is mocking it, I'll just say it's a spoof and move on. (I love spoofs...)

As for the message of this song - sure, it seems convenient that after a harsh wave of teen suicides, there are plenty of artists (Pink, Ke$ha, Katy Perry) who are singing songs about not fitting in and being yourself. And yes, we know Christina did it first with "Beautiful" - at a time when it wasn't the safe option to sing about it. But whether it's jumping on a bandwagon or not, this message is one that needs to be heard now by some people. We can only hope that when the nation moves on to their next big campaign, and struggling teens are not media's main focus anymore that these artists are still sending out messages of support...

Check the video below and decide for yourself.



What are your thoughts on Ke$ha's new video? Flawless or fail? Mocking Gaga or honoring her? Sound off in the comments section!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a Ke$ha fan. I'm one of those people who think she's dirty as hell and would rather not hear her auto-tuned lyrics about getting wasted and raped on a Saturday night.

    And, the fact that her entire first album was a love letter to Jack Daniel's, I don't even give her the time of day anymore.

    So, sorry Ke$ha--you be who you are, and I'm gonna do the same, just sans the dirt and glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it, but could have used more glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Ke$ha copies Gaga in any way, and anyone that says that is just being lazy in their critique of her.

    PS...were you inspired by this blog post of mine?!: http://joshistrashy.blogspot.com/2010/11/pop-star-pride.html

    ReplyDelete