Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hellcats - One "Hell" of a Show


Since I live a busy life and since I don't have cable, I didn't watch "Hellcats" last week when it premiered, although I wanted to. Instead, I waited until this morning. And now I don't know how I went a week without having this show in my life. (Although I'm glad I waited because now instead of waiting a week for a new episode, I only have to wait until tonight.)

"Hellcats" starts with Marti Perkins (Aly Michalka from "Aly and AJ") as she discovers that due to budget cuts and her mom being an H-Core slacker, she lost her scholarship to Lancer College. Unless she wants to be booted from school, she needs to find a new scholarship, so Marti heads to the financial aid office. She looks through possible bullshit scholarships (people who want to get into potato farming, etc. etc) when Savannah Monroe (Ashley Tisdale) enters to turn in her scholarship papers for being on the school's cheerleading squad, The Hellcats. Broke as a joke Marti gets pissed that cheerleaders get scholarships, so the two have a war of words, all while the sassy black secretary watches. Then Marti sees a flyer saying the Hellcats are having try-outs, so even though she just put her foot so far in her mouth with the team's captain, the crazy ass bitch still decides to give it a shot. After renting "Bring It On" to practice some routines, she goes to try outs and nails it. Savannah lets her on the team, they become roommates, and they are on their way to being total BFFs.

But not everyone likes this Eliza Dushku wannabe on the team, and the bitchy injured cheerleader, Alice (Heather Hemmens) promises to make Marti's time on the squad short-lived and painful. She goes out of her way numerous times to be a total bitch to Marti. Usually I like bitches, but I'm not so sure how I feel about her... And if this Alice girl wasn't enough drama, the school is doing MORE cut backs (F THIS RECESSION!), and informs the squad that if they don't place at Nationals this year, the team will be cut.

Well... that's upsetting.

The pilot showed a lot of spirit, and although it may need to step its game up to make it to Nationals, it's on the right track. It's not my favorite show on The CW, but it's fun, it's witty, it has cheerleading routines, and it has Ashley Tisdale. Plus, it looks like it's going to have a bi-racial couple, so I'm down to see that. Get ittttt, Marti. And if you DO have sex with your beautiful black teammate, be agressive. Be-e agressive.

"Hellcats" airs on the CW Tusdays at 9:00 pm.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Aly Michalka. Like, love love. So how good is it so far? Worth really watching?

    What channel is this even on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    I really like it so far and I have a feeling it's only going to get better. It's on the CW Tuesdays at 9. The pilot is on Hulu. Check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just tell you. I would SO get "a little bit rowdy...R-O-W-DY" with Lewis. I hope he and Marti get it on, though I will feel bad for her cute blondie man. Anyway, I'm ready for tonight!

    ReplyDelete