Wednesday, September 15, 2010

For Colored Girls



I am over Tyler Perry. Besides "Precious," I have no intention of ever seeing anything this man has his name attached to. And you can gasp and clutch your pearls all you'd like, but I'm not really a big Janet Jackson fan, either... So when I read about the production/casting choices for this movie, I was definitely not first in line to buy my ticket. Sure, I like my Dreamgirl/Frog Princess, Anika Noni Rose, as much as the next person, and although I haven't seen her in much, Thandie Newtown really delivered in "Crash," and I'm willing to bet she'll do it again in this film. Plus, Whoopi Goldberg is great on any screen, but it just didn't seem to be a movie I would be interested in.

Call it "The Curse of the Non-Informative Trailer," but after viewing this trailer, I'm obsessed. I watched the preview on repeat a handful of times and still can't tell a lot about the plot, but when there are clips of black women screaming, crying, having sex, and pushing Whoopi down the steps, Count. Me. In.

After googling the original play, I found many articles saying the original production has no conventional "plot" or characters, but is more of a "choreopoem" - a bunch of poems forming a single statement. I'm not sure how this will translate to screen, but I'm willing to find out.

If Madea rears her ugly head anywhere in this movie, though, I'm demanding my money back...

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. I'm not sure what's going on, but I like it. I love Loretta Devine, one of my favorite strong black actresses. I'm interested to see what this movie will bring, and i'm sure i'll like it.

    ReplyDelete