Monday, August 30, 2010

A Summer Round-Up

While you may officially still have one week to get all the use out of your white pants, for most purposes - Summer has ended. School is back in session, the weather has turned a bit cooler, and Fall TV is beginning to return. Sure, we can cry about this fact as we pack our school lunches, but instead, let's focus on the memories we've made this summer. I'm not talking about your hook up at the beach... I'm talking about our favorite Summer entertainment.

TOP SUMMER 2010 SONGS

3. "I Like It" - Enrique Iglesias

My once-moled, but now removed Latin Lover is back. And he knows what he's doing. While he may have been resting for a little while, Enrique is trying to push his way back into our lives... and while I'm open to it any day of the week, there may be some neigh-sayers who might roll their eyes at the thought of the "Hero" song bird chirping in their ears once more. "This isn't 2004," you may here. But do not let this discourage you because Enrique knows what it will take to fight his way back. No, this isn't 2004, so having Jennifer Love Hewitt in your "Hero" video isn't going to win you back your fan base. And he knows that. So he turned to another Jennifer... and her last name(s) isn't Love Hewitt - it's Woww.

That's correct. For his newest video, Enrique turned to the cast of Jersey Shore to help him out. And even got placed on the soundtrack? Will this get him back to the status he once was (say...in 2004?) Probably not, but will it get him a mall tour? Maybe. And I'll be first in line. Welcome back, Enrique. I've missed you.

2. "Love the Way You Lie" - Eminem ft. Rihanna


While Sexy Trash does not approve of domestic violence and thinks you should call a hotline if it is happening to you or someone you know, I DO approve of this video. Eminem, Rihanna, Megan Fox... it's just too good to ignore. Rihanna's chorus gets me every time, and I often sing it loudly on the subway (much to the dismay of women next to me who sometimes inform me that they "sure do" hate me...)

While I understand the controversy surrounding this song/video (she was a victim of domestic violence, he was an abuser; what are they thinking?!), I don't think this song condones domestic violence, but instead teaches of the mindset... But I can see why people are nervous to enjoy it.

Either way, though, I love it... and I speak from experience - if you are locked out of your room for seven hours with nothing but an iPod, reenacting this video can be quite fun...

1. "California Gurls" - Katy Perry


Candy Land. Slutty outfits made of candy. Snoop Dogg.

I can't. (in a good way).

Anyone that says this song is anything other than sweet summer goodness is A) an idiot or B) diabetic.


TOP SUMMER 2010 SHOWS

3. Jersey Shore 2

They're backkkk. And more ridiculous than ever. Yes, I think they are stepping their game up and trying to out-do their first season, but it's still fun to watch Snooki make a fool of herself and not care what anyone thinks. That pint sized princess is a God-send...

2. Big Brother

While this show had the potential of being #1 on the Best Summer Shows list, I think my baby girl Britney is going home soon, so it ruins everything. Get back to me in a month and I'll let you know if it was bumped to the top of the list or snuggled in at the number 2 spot... But even if it ends up stuck at number 2, it was a great summer full of lies, yelling, laughs and cheers, and I can't wait to do it all again next summer (from INSIDE the Big Brother house...)

1. Pretty Little Liars

This ABC Family drama is a dash of "Gossip Girl" and a dash of "Scream," and it kept me interested until the last second. I can't wait for the second half of season 1 to return in the winter, and even more so - I can't wait to find out who "A" is...


TOP SUMMER 2010 MOVIES

3. Inception

Fine. I didn't see this. I spent my money seeing "Charlie St. Cloud" instead, and while I'd love to include that in the best 2010 summer movies, I can't do it with a clear conscience knowing that movies like "Inception" are out there. While I can't give reasons as to why this is one of the top movies of the summer, I can say that it has everyone talking - young, old, men, women, black, white, gays, straights... anyone and everyone loves this movie. There are people that are turning this into their own personal "Mean Girls" and seeing it 9 times in theaters... I thought I was the only one to do such things, but Inception is taking over. When it comes out on DVD, I'll certainly Netflix it and most likely curse myself for never seeing it in theaters. Until then, I can only report on what I know, so as Jay Z says, "On to the next one..."

2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

When I saw previews for this, I wasn't sure I'd like it. But when I actually saw it, it turned out to be everything I've ever wanted in a movie. Over the top comedy, random nonsense that made me giggle, awesome fight scenes (I may not act like one all of the time, but I AM a boy so I enjoy some 'splosions and punches time and time again.... As long as they involve bright colors), and a cute little love story mixed in.

Plus, it didn't hurt that my new favorite actress (Sorry, KBell... you can win me back with "You Again" and "Scream 4"), Anna Kendrick, played Scott's sister, and although she was only a supporting role (as always), she made her presence known and sometimes stole her scenes (as always).

It didn't do as well as it should have in theaters, but neither did "Jennifer's Body," and we all know how I feel about that...

1. Eclipse

Twilight fans will agree. Anti-Twilight fans won't. That's just the way it is. But this was clearly the most anticipated film of the summer, and it didn't disappoint. More action than the first two movies, enough Jacob to keep my heart pounding and my mouth watering, and some back story that helps us dive deeper into the Cullen clan's personal lives (except Edward, because I don't care about him... Barf.) Plus, Jacob and Bella kiss... so, GET ITTTTT, YOU SEXY DOG MAN.

...butI'llstillbewaitingforyouwhenthatbitchturnsyoudown.




So, that's that. The best movies, shows and music of Summer 2010. We'll be back next year - same time, same place to do this all again - hopefully Part 1 of "Breaking Dawn" is on this list, but I already know what happens, and I'm not feeling it. But more of that another time...

Good luck at school and have fun wearing cute Fall clothes!

What were your favorite Summer 2010 movies/shows/music?!?!

8 comments:

  1. Enrique, Eminem/Rhianna, Katy Perry, Scott Pilgrim, Anna Kendrick, and Eclipse = <3 Jacob = <3 <3 <3 <3 <3. Loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a pretty good list there :) I havent seen some of them, but i heard theyre all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TEAM JACOB! you know how i feel about those werewolves...especially when they're minors. grr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with all of that! Those songs were my jams! I also watched Teen Mom, SYTYCD, and Drag U this summer. AS for the movies, I haven't seen any of them, i'll have to wait for dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I hate California Gurls. Like, HATE. My issues with both the song and the video are enough to fill up a years worth of blogs.
    2. I also don't like Enrique BECAUSE of the Jersey Shore cast being involved. I do not want to think about Snookers whilst driving in to work for an 8 am event.
    3. I'm sure you can figure out which TV show I disagree with.
    4. I haven't actually seen any of the summer movies, but I do want to see two of them! (And I'm sure you can guess which one i'd rather not).

    I think Summer 2010 was good to us. Gaga had the summer of a lifetime in terms of music and singles. You got me to watch and enjoy Big Brother. And we got to pretend we were in high school again with PLL (just bc GG has moved on past high school doesn't mean the rest of us have to).

    xoxo

    k

    ReplyDelete
  6. I danced to all three of those trackz @ the club on Saturday! Did you buy "Teenage Dream" the day it came out like I did?! It smellz like fucking COTTON CANDY! MMMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with most of the shows and music. I just hate the fact that a horrible show like Jersey Shore gets soo much hype. I think that whole show is a MISTAKE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. obsessed with the enruique song since the second i heard it. the video makes it even better. why have you snubbed all things kardashian?? khloe and kourtney take miami..hello??

    ReplyDelete