Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Sweet Little Lies"

While you may have fun reading the texts from my phone, here at SexyTrash, I do more than watch movie previews and plan which celebrities to sleep with, talk to, or kill. I have to do things to make me a better person. No, I don't feed the homeless or clean up roadsides. But I do challenge my brain. By reading.

No, I'm not reading Pride & Prejudice or the book that "Clueless" was based on, but I am reading other pieces of classic literature... such as Lauren Conrad ("LC" for all you Laguna/Hills fans)'s new book, Sweet Little Lies.


Sweet Little Lies is the follow-up to Conrad's first book, L.A. Candy, and is the second out of the three book series. Let's not even get into the fact that I was supposed to go to her book signing today, but Mother Nature is a bitch, so I am left snowed in and blogging about her book instead of meeting her. Whatever.


Without giving too much away and ruining the first book plot-wise, I can say that Sweet Little Lies is based loosely on Conrad's life on camera. When Jane Roberts and her best friend since childhood, Scarlett, move to L.A, they are cast as part of a new reality show, L.A. Candy. The show is described as a "reality version of Sex and the City" and follows Jane, Scarlett and another set of BFFs: Madison and Gaby.

Jane, who is based on Conrad, must juggle the two men in her life, Jesse and Braden, while she also juggles her friendship, work, and filming. (PS, if you can't tell... Jesse = Jason and Braden = Brody. Conrad doesn't do a great job hiding these things...)

One of the other girls on the show, Madison, is based not-too-loosely on Heidi, who is just out to gain fame and will backstab anyone to get her way.

Scarlett and Gaby are, I believe, loosely based on Audrina and Lo, but it's not so cut and paste as the other characters.

I read L.A. Candy this summer while lounging on the deck of my pool and sipping mojitos. It's the perfect summer read. Fluffy, fun and full of drama. While summer may be over, you can still lay in a warm bath and sip on a cosmopolitan (or boxed wine... or add some vodka to your diet soda) to read the follow-up. It's a great "snowed in" read, and if I hadn't read it already (in less than a day), I would be reading it right now.

I watched the show, read the book, and now I can't wait to see the movie...

That's right. L.A. Candy is going to be a movie. But I'll save piece of information for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment