Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oscar nominations

Oscar nominations were announced today, and although those blue f-ers are going to win everything, I will say who I want to win. Cause my opinion is what matters the most, if you didn't know. Most of my choices won't win, but I don't really care.
Best Picture

Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

I didn't see a lot of these films, but I DID see "Precious," and from the moment the movie started, I was hooked and I knew I was watching something special. The movie touched me, and obvi by its Oscar nomination, it touched many others. If you haven't seen it yet, please do ASAP. Like most books-to-movies, "Push" is better than the movie, but that does not mean for one second that the movie is anything less than fantastic.


Best Animated Feature

Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells
Up

In what is possibly the saddest first ten minutes of any movie EVER, "Up" hooks you from the start and holds you until the end. While some plot points may be over kids' heads, the love story in this film really pulls at the heart strings of the adult viewers, which, in turn, makes them pull at the tissues in their pockets. Good crys, good laughs, a great movie.

 
Best Actor in a Leading Role

Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart
George Clooney in Up in the Air
Colin Firth in A Single Man
Morgan Freeman in Invictus
Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker

I will be honest. I didn't see this movie. But I'm not voting for anything called "Crazy Heart." Sorry...


Best Actress in a Leading Role

Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side
Helen Mirren in The Last Station
Carey Mulligan in An Education
Gabourey Sidibe in Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia

Another movie I didn't see, but I like Sandra Bullock just fine. And everyone that DID see this movie is practically shitting over her performance, so why not? Home girl deserves something after the monstrosity that was "All About Steve."

Best Actor in a Supporting Role


Matt Damon in Invictus
Woody Harrelson in The Messenger
Christopher Plummer in The Last Station
Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds

Stanley Tucci totally transformed from the fun, flamboyant Tucci that we have become used to from "Devil Wears Prada" and "Shall We Dance" into the sick monster in "The Lovely Bones." So much so, in fact, that I don't want him to win a damn thing for his performance. I hated him in that movie, and that made me hate him in real life. But I just have to remind myself that it is just a movie. It is just a movie...

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Penelope Cruz in Nine
Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal in Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air
Mo'Nique in Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire

MO F'ING NIQUE. End of story.


Best Original Song


"The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart
"Take It All" from Nine
"Loin de Paname" from Paris 36
"Almost There" from The Princess and the Frog
"Down in New Orleans" from The Princess and the Frog

I doubt a song from "Princess and the Frog" will win. It will probably be stupid ass "Crazy Heart," but this song is so catchy and cute and uplifting. I listen to it on my iPod everyday and it brings a smile to my face and a pep in my step everytime.

...obviously this isn't all of the cateogries. It's just the ones I care about.

For a full list, go to the official nomination page.

The Oscars will air Sunday, March 7 at 8 pm on ABC.

Who do you want to win an Oscar??

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen The Lovely Bones OR Precious yet and I really think this needs to be fixed.

    ReplyDelete