Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dear John


Before we begin, I just want to say I love all of the hyped up Nicholas Sparks movies - A Walk to Remember, The Notebook... that's basically it. I hated Nights in Rodanthe or whatever the hell it was called. Hated it. But the two I mentioned... loved. Also, I only ever read two Nicholas Sparks novels... A Walk to Remember and Dear John. Loved them both. I think Nicholas Sparks is a sick, sick man who hates love, but I still enjoy his books.

WITH THAT SAID....

The movie was good. Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum had great chemistry, and although I knew what happens from the book, I wanted their relationship to work out. Let it be said now that, "Big Love" aside, I will watch (and enjoy) ANYTHING that Seyfried stars in... I'm nervous for her new movie, "Letters to Juliet," but I'll give it a try. However, this book didn't really work as a movie. Or not the movie they turned it into. I liked the movie, and I will be buying it, but the book is so fantastic, and they just made so many unnecessary changes and made it practically a whole different story... one I'm not sure I enjoyed.

Without giving things away, the ending was drastically changed (for the a semi-happy ending), and while some female audience members may have enjoyed this ending over the book's more depressing ending, I did not. When I go into a Nicholas Sparks movie, I know what I'm paying for: I'll watch two people fall in love and then their relationship ends (usually because one of them, or both of them, dies). I pay my money, buy my popcorn and sit down, knowing that I'll cry over my large soda as the couple is torn apart, but their love is strong. So when "Dear John" threw in a half ass Hollywood ending in the last two seconds of the film, I didn't really appreciate it.

This sounds like my first negative blog, and while my words may seem like I didn't enjoy the movie (like the rest of America), I really did. But if I had to choose between the book and the movie, I would 100% choose the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment