Monday, January 18, 2010

No One Mourns the... "WICKEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"


Yesterday I was fortunate enough to see the touring company of "Wicked." It was FANTASTIC, and before you continue reading... see when it is coming to your area and get tickets NOW.

Tickets purchased? Great. I'll continue. Did you buy me one? I hope so because I want to see it again.

Before I even talk about the talents of the touring cast, let's discuss the story and the music. I've seen this show a couple years ago, but I forgot how much I loved it since then. The music just does something to me, and whether I am meant to laugh or meant to cry (YES, it's a tear jerker!!), I feel EVERY emotion ever invented when watching the show.

Although neither "Wicked" or "The Wizard of Oz" are true stories by any means, I still felt sick to my stomach at different parts of the show for ever considering Elphaba "The Wicked Witch of the West." Watching this musical is like putting the story of "The Wizard of Oz" in a snowglobe, shaking the shit out of it, and looking again. Everything you thought you knew about this story is a LIE. Your childhood is a LIE.
F Dorothy. F the wizard. "Wicked" has you rooting for "the wicked witch" and I loved doing it.

The show starts as Glinda, the good witch of the North, is announcing the death of the wicked witch. Everything's fine. No need to worry, Oz. Ding dong the witch is dead. Dorothy killed her. Carry on. Get itttt, Dorothy. Have fun going back to Kansas.

"But Glinda, weren't you and the witch friends?"

HOLD UPPPPPPPPP.

Weaves go flying. Hoop earrings come out. What was just asked? Good witch and bad witch BFF? Are you bitches crazy??

"Not friends, but our paths did meet in school," she says. Then the plot flashes back to school where the two are...wait for it...ROOMMATES.

I told you. SNOWGLOBE OZ. Love triangles. Talking animals. Political antics. Shit gets real. And I love every minute of it.

Besides the story, the cast of the touring production is fantastic, specifically Glinda, who really milks the funny parts of her character, but also shines during the dramatic parts.

I said it before, I'll say it again. This is a great show. This is a great cast. See this "Popular" show while it's in your area or you're totally missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment