Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blue Mountain State


The cast of "Blue Mountain State"
Left to Right: Sam Jones III (Craig), Gabrielle Dennis (Denise), Darin Brooks (Alex), Chris Romano (Sammy), Alan Ritchson (Thad), Ed Marinano (Coach Marty)

I love comedic TV shows and movies about college, no matter what they focus on. As long as it takes place on a university campus, you can count me in. Greek. Accepted. The House Bunny. Sydney White. Saved By The Bell: The College Years. Hell, I'd even watch Everybody Loves Raymond: The College Years. And I f-ing HATE Raymond.

And Blue Mountain State on Spike TV is no exception. Now, normally a show about football that airs on the "network for men" wouldn't be my cup of tea, but there's just something about this show that makes me tune in. And it's not just the locker room scenes.

The humor and content on this show are exactly what you think you'd find on Spike TV: masturbation, sex, trannies, big parties, sex toys, syphillis. But I love it. It's like producers made American Pie about football and set it in college.

The show follows the three football players (and the mascot) at Blue Mountain State.

Freshman Alex Moran (Darin Brooks, who soap fans may recognize as Max Brady from Days of Our Lives), is the backup quarterback for the team and is afraid he will end up like his father - stuck in a life he doesn't want, is determined to live in the moment and make the most out of his college years...which of course means binge drinking and lots of sex. He's my favorite character, and I don't know if it's because his character is the most fleshed out or if it's because he is the best looking. Maybe it's a little of both.

Thad Castle is the captain of the football team and is the epitome of a nasty jock. He's crass, he's rude, he doesn't care about anyone but himself, but you can't help but love him.

Craig Shilo is the runningback for the team, and in the three episodes I've seen so far, doesn't really have a backstory or personality of his own that I can write about. Instead, he seems to be the supporting character to all of the storylines he's in: Alex's best friend, the captain's go-to man, but mostly... Denise's boyfriend.

Which brings us to my second favorite character... Denise. She is Craig's girlfriend and has big ambitions for herself and Craig. She just wants him to win games and tries to do everything it takes, even if that means withholding sex, or, in one instance, pimping him out to a tranny prostitute.

There's only been four episodes so far, but I, for one, am hooked. BMS is already set up on a season pass on my DVR and I can't wait to see what the team will be up to week after week.

If you're not convinced yet... there's an episode called "Pocket P-ssy" about Thad's sex toy that each member of the team steals and uses, leading to a syphillis epidemic. I mean, c'mon... TV gold.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I totally read the pilot for this about a year and some months ago and hadn't seen anything about it since. I thought it went the way of...most pilots I read. The script was kind of funny, if I rememebr right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it’s nice that Spike is seeking to widen its narrow unscripted profile, by hewing so closely to its formula, the net has simply made this too-blue “Mountain” into a comedic molehill.

    ReplyDelete